February 18, 2007

Feb 18th, Day of Departure:

Well, I am sitting in O’Hare airport in Chicago, waiting for my flight to San Juan, Puerto Rico. My flight lands in San Juan at 12:30 AM tonight, and I don’t fly out to Port Roseau, Dominica until about three in the afternoon tomorrow. I can’t wait to get there, though I am less than excited about spending the night in the Puerto Rican airport. I learned online that when I arrive in Dominica it will be during the tail end of their month long celebration of Carnival. I didn’t know they celebrated Carnival anywhere but Brazil, but apparently they do in Dominica. I am really curious about their festivities, and hope I can catch a glimpse on my way from the airport to the ship.
I was a little nervous about my health for this trip. Thursday night I drank about a half gallon of orange juice, and had an upset stomach all day Friday. Nothing says, “Get ready to explore strange tropical places in a big boat” like 24 hours of nausea. Thankfully, Saturday was puke-free.
I have already had two farewell phone calls to special-lady-friend-Andrea, with at least one more to make. I think a good way to judge the seriousness of a relationship is how many times you have to call each other to say goodbye. We are currently at about three or four. I suppose when you get engaged the number shoots up to eight or ten, and then, once you get married, you may or may not get a text message saying, “bye.” I think three or four is a good place for us right now.
Obviously I am looking forward to this new adventure. One of the things I am most looking forward to is sailing for Captain Moreland.
My uncle, who got me tangled up in all this sailing mumbo-jumbo, said this about him: “Capt Dan Moreland is one of the best traditional sailors in the world, and a great friend of mine. He and I share professional heritage, each of us having served and apprenticed under Capt Arthur Kimberly in the brigantine Romance. Sad to say (and not to sound too boastful, I hope) Dan is one of the few tall ship sailors that I actually admire, respect, and look up to, because (also sad to say) he is one of the few who is the Real Deal. He is a hard master, but a deep one, and not an ounce of bullshit in him.”
I look forward to being pushed on this trip, both as a sailor and as a man. The people in my life that have pushed me the hardest to be my best have become some of my favorite people, dearly valued teachers and mentors and good friends. I will work to be my best on the Picton Castle, for Captain Moreland and for myself.
Otherwise, I guess I’ll hate ever second of it, and this will become a rather depressing blog.
I hope not, though.
FYI: The Picton Castle is a 179 foot steel-hulled Barque (Barques have at least three masts, with square sails on all but the mast furthest aft called the mizzen mast), with enough berths for as many as 52 people.
I don’t know how often I will have internet access in the islands. I honestly have no expectations, but maybe here or there my time on shore will lead me to a welcoming café or hotel with a wireless connection, and I can upload journal entries and photos.
Thanks for all your support prayers and anything else.
Hopefully this is the start of a great adventure and learning experience, and one of many more to come.

Cheers and Much Love,
Ben

Lessons learned so far:
1) Don’t drink too much OJ
2) Carnival is not just for Brazilians
3) Married people don’t call each other

No comments: