July 31, 2007

7/31
Car alarms, sirens, helicopters, gigantic slices of pizza, I am in New York. We arrived two nights ago and dropped anchor right next to the Statue of Liberty. As the sun went down, the lights of the city behind us blinked on, and the statue was flooded in an angelic glow.

I had one of those moments I so often have had in these past months and was a bit dumb-struck at the places my job takes me, and what an unbelievable blessing every day at sea has been, even the tough days.
I have the day off today, and am planning on wandering around, seeing things, watching people, and hopefully getting to a ballgame in the House that Ruth Built. I will be avoiding F.A.O. Schwartz completely. Knowing myself, I would not be able to leave without buying some Star Wars Legos and my bunk is cluttered enough as it is. Star Wars Legos are sweet, though. I'd probably buy an Optimus Prime action figure too.

Regardless of what I do, I am maintaining one firm goal for my day in New York: don’t go broke. We will see. I want to get a photo of me at Yankee Stadium where I am handing the cashier a $20 for a hot dog and then not getting any change back.

Should be fun.

1 comment:

Cara said...

benjamin,
i can't believe you would go to a yankee's game. unless for some incredible reason they were playing the cubs. (okay, okay, i guess royals in your case?)

i highly admire your adventures and vicariously live your life by watching as much "deadliest catch" as i can. I know it's nowhere near what you do, but for some reason it makes me think of you. and it makes me want to be a bad ass fisher woman in the bering sea.