August 8, 2007

New York P.S.

I forgot to mention (I have no idea how) that I set foot on hallowed ground whilst trekking amid the towers and traffic flow of that venerable Gigantic Granny Smith, the Burgh of Insomnia. I saw -- and I recognized it immediately -- the firehouse that was used in the filming of one of the great archetypes of cinema: Ghostbusters. I saw it. From a quarter mile away, the very instant mine eyes laid rest on the brick-red edifice, I knew what it was.
Says I to Shayma, "Look thusly, good sister, that monument, lit from behind with the seraphic light of Olympus, be it not the same one as in the glorious and noble moving-picture from our youth, starring the gentlemen Akroyd, Ramis, Hudson, and Murray? Nay surely not; we are nary so blessed to receive such a heavenly eye-full."
She saith back, "I don't know, Ben, there's lots of firehouses in New York."
Yet, as we approached, the vision proved to be no counterfeit, mine eyeballs decievethed me not. I walked inside and waved to the firemen, and was greeted with stupefied looks. I called some friends to boast, I grinned widely, my gait gained gusto. My childhood had come 'round full circle and culminated in this one event, my Hajj. I am fully man, fully realized, fully awesome.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ben! It's Marling, from Rocking the Boat, 7-24 till the 30th if you have already forgotten... B WATCH!! lolz
Ummm... love your writting, I haven't read anything so exquisitely written in a while (guess I need to pick up a book huh).
Anyways I must say, I love your perspective in all the different things, such as the terrorism.. theology.. and of course, your personal anecdotes from your childhood... your connection to it all.
You have kept me entertained for a while. Anyways, I hope you're dandy and everything is going great for you.
I miss you, Shayma and Sarah quite a lot, and the sea of course, needless to say, I truly hope we get to sail again!