October 27, 2007

Those pictures I promised, plus a video.

Life has been good so far. Lots of hard work. We turn-to at eight every morning, and end the day at five.
One of the major perks of Canadian citizenship has got to be the socialized medicine. Well, though I am not a citizen here, I have enjoyed this perk. I threw my back out this summer and have been pushing through it ever since. One of my former shipmates, who is staying here in Lunenburg with us, works as physiotherapist in Bridgewater, a town just a few minutes away. Last week I cooked a delicious dinner of seared tuna steaks rubbed with chili and lime, served with wild rice, and in return asked only for her professional help on my aching back. She obliged.
She stretched and contorted my back, pushing on each vertebrae. "Does this hurt? How about now?"
My answers went like this: "no, no, no, no-YES-a little, no, no," etc. From there she had me lay down on the floor and administered my first session of acupuncture. It was weird. It didn't hurt, but when I moved, and one of my back muscles contracted, I could definitely feel the needles going down my spine. Weirder still was when she ran her fingers up and down the row of needles. It felt like someone was playing an upright bass that had been built with its strings embedded in my back. But, after fifteen minutes of this, the needles came out, and my back felt brand new. It still gets sore after the work day, but that is the just muscles -- a welcome change.
So, I promised pictures of Nova Scotia after blubbering about how nice it is here. Well, here they are. This first few are of the surrounding Lunenburg Harbo(u)r, basically what I look at every day.

This one is of the Dory Shop owned by Picton Castle. They make wooden dory's, modeled after the traditional fishing boats and other small watercraft by hand here.

The following are pictures of the town of Lunenburg, taken from aloft on the Picton Castle. A pretty picturesque town, I think. Can't wait to see it after the first snow, which will probably be sooner than later.

These next pictures were taken at Peggy's Cove, one of the more famous locations in the southern coast of Nova Scotia, about 45 minutes from Lunenburg. It was a windy, blustery, fantastic day.
I love the sarcasm in this warning. This attitude of "please don't be an idiot" is a good example of the unassuming air and common sense inherent here in the maritimes. This would never pass in the states. Some bloated tourist with big-ass sunglasses would probably shrill, "we get a REWARD?" and then run into the water only to be smashed on the rocks and the subject of 1000 different law suits and 12 hours of Nancy Grace bellowing, "I don't care if they were just sitting there, someone should do something about those giant rocks! They do not deserve to be alive! They've clearly shown that!"
Also, here is video of just how windy it was that day. A pretty view of the coastline.


That's it for now. Not too much adventuring to do at present, but living the hardworking sailor life nonetheless.
Until next time.


2 comments:

Cara said...

What a life.

Anonymous said...

My fantastical heart is jealous of you.

My pragmatic mind knows I would probably never lead such a life, even were I presented with a no-strings-attached package inviting me to participate in such adventures.

And my entire being is overjoyed to know a person who is getting to experience it all, and then come here and tell me about it.

Thanks, Ben. It's like reading a novel-in-the-works. Someday college English majors will be reading about your adventures from a Norton anthology.